Saturday, August 18, 2007

Post-Op Day 4

Well, I'm at the RMH to shower and change clothes, so I thought I would give a quick update.

We got moved to the floor yesterday afternoon. It is not a private room, but it is right across from the nurses station, so I'm very happy about that. (Hey Karen, it is Jameson's old room - and the same side of the room, too.) The nurses have been really nice, so that's going well. I spent the night last night and Tom will sleep there tonight.

Harlie is doing okay, all things considered. Her pain meds were being given every 4 hours, but she just couldn't make it to the next dose without clearly being in pain. Last night she woke up every 3 hours crying. So, they are going to give her something in addition I think.

Unfortunately she lost her last IV last night, so everything has to be given through her g-tube. So, everything had to be changed over to oral meds, which are not as strong or fast-acting. But, considering we are only going to be here a couple more days (hope & pray) I really don't want them going fishing for another vein. She's got scabs on every limb from where they had to try numerous times to get a site. I just don't want to put her through that again.

Last night some pretty yucky goo came out of her ear (I'll spare you the detailed description). I have been trying to get ENT to look in her ear since Tuesday, but haven't succeeded yet. Ugh. She had a bad ear infection on Monday, and was only on meds for that for one day. And they have not put her on any meds for that since - so I am afraid that the infection has gotten worse. Every day I have asked, but they never come. Last night I really got frustrated and I know that the doc was annoyed with me. But I am learning that being nice doesn't always get you what you need. They tell me that ENT will be coming today. So, we'll see.

When they rounded on her early this morning they said they were going to pull one of her chest tubes today. They told me that they only pull one a day. So, tomorrow they'll pull the second one, and observe her for most or the rest of the day. I think there is a slight chance we could be discharged tomorrow, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Monday is probably more realistic.

Well, that's about it for now. Thank you for all your kind words!!! I love reading them! Talk to you later,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...