Thursday, March 22, 2007

Cardiology appt.

Well, today was Harlie's post-op cardiology follow-up appointment. They did an echo (ultrasound) on her heart and all looks good. No fluid build up and her heart function is as it should be after the Glenn. We will see him again in one month.

Harlie had her helmet fitting yesterday. That went better than I thought. I was afraid it was like a retainer, if you go a while without wearing it, it won't fit anymore. Even though her head grew a quarter of an inch, it still fits. I just wasn't using enough strength to put it on. You really have to pry it apart and I was afraid I was going to break it. So, now I know and she's been doing really well wearing it. She really doesn't seem to mind it at all. The only negative is that it is really hot. Christina drilled some holes in the back of it to help with that.

So, tonight I got to take Harlie outside so I could talk to our neighbors, which was so nice. Murphy was playing with their kids and Tom was making dinner. Since it was really nice out, I thought it would be good for Harlie to get some fresh air. It felt a little weird, just because I think she needs to stay hooked up to the humidifier and close to the suction machine. Whenever I'm with her, we have a lot of stuff with us, so it felt really weird to carry JUST her outside. But now that she's getting older and the weather is getting better, that should be able to change a bit. Hopefully, we'll be able to take her off the humidifier when she's awake (just put the HME on) so she can start to move around more. And we are starting to wean her off oxygen. She's only on 2 liters now (she was on 7 prior to surgery!). All of this just means more freedom and normalcy and we are really ready for that!

Oh, they weighed her today at her cardiology appointment. She weighed 11 pounds, 9 ounces. That's a pound more than she weighed a month ago. So far, she has been gaining about 1 pound per month. I am anxious to see that speed up a bit. Well, that's it for now.

Talk to you soon!
-Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...