Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Weight gain issues

Hi. Well, we had her pulmonary appointment today. Her lungs sound good. But, I am pretty discouraged at her weight gain – or lack thereof. The last week we were in the hospital (a week and a half ago), she weighed 12.9. Then, at her pediatrician’s appointment, just a few days later, she weighed 12.12. Not bad. That was exactly one week ago today. And today she weighed 12.8.6. So, I suppose I could round-up to 12.9. Either way, I can’t help but be frustrated. She is still the size of an average 3 month old.

So, I chatted with her nutritionist about it. Unfortunately, we can’t up her volume or her calories per ounce. Her food is already packed with as much protein as her body can handle. We are going to try putting a little karo syrup in her formula to see if that helps. That will give her more calories.

They are also going to test for C-Diff. That is an intestinal disease that she could have gotten because of all the heavy antibiotics she was on in the hospital. Basically, the antibiotics can kill good bacteria, too, and that can allow the bad bacteria that are always there to take over. Some of the signs that she is showing could be explained by her formula change, or her meds (she’s still on diuretics to help her body get rid of fluid, which make her dehydrated, which makes her secretions thicker, which makes her gag on her secretions, which makes her vomit). Isn’t this fun?

At any rate, that might help explain her weight gain issues. I don’t know if I want her to have it or not. In one way, it would be an answer that can be corrected (although sometimes it can be very difficult to treat). But, if it isn’t that, then it could be something else…

So, hopefully we can get an answer to that in a few days. All I know is that I want her to start gaining weight!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I added more photos. And, just a little reminder, the Pampered Chef Fundraiser ends on June 4th. Thank you for all of your support.

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...