Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Norfolk Trip

Our trip to Norfolk today went great. The traffic was good on the way there, and on the way back. We arrived early for our appointment (a NEVER for me). Harlie was fine until we got into the room where she is weighed and vitals are taken. Then she just started to cry. One of those sad cries. Ugh.

Once we got into the exam room, Harlie sat on my lap and put her head on my shoulder. I decided to talk to her as if she could understand everything I was saying. So, I told her that I knew that she was scared and that it was going to hurt for a little bit, but after it was over we were going to the mall to play and she was going to have fun. I have no idea if she understood any of it, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try.

There was nothing really to say to the doc, as she seems to be doing well (so far) on this new med, Levaquin. Her back still has the marks of her hives from last week. It's almost like the hives turned to freckles. I'm sure they will fade in time.

The vascular access team (VAT) came to change her dressing. All four of them. It is a very small room, and there were six adults, two kids, two strollers, two chairs and the exam table in there. It was very crowded. Since they clearly didn't need me, or Cooper (and all people in the room have to be masked) I took him and a stroller and left the room. Brandy came out with Harlie just 15 minutes later. It was the quickest dressing change so far.

We practically ran out of the hospital and to the mall. Here's the play area...

Here's a happy (and overly tired) Cooper (sporting his new buzz cut).

The last time we were here, Cooper was bound and determined to be able to step off this .. whatever you call it. He would step off (like a big kid) and fall down. And he would get back up and try again. And he did that at least 30 times! But he mastered it. He walked off it this week on his first try.

Here's a much happier Harlie. She ran all over the place.

Here's Cooper and my friend Melissa's daughter, Isabella.

I thought for sure Cooper would sleep on the way home. He was up ALL night last night crying. I have no idea what his problem was. He slept a little on the way down there, but only less than an hour. He was a bear to put in bed, but hopefully he'll sleep soundly through tonight.

And speaking of sleeping... here's a pooped Harlie on the way home.

Hopefully the rest of our appointments will go this smoothly.



Grandma said...

So glad to hear all went well and you even had some fun time. Cooper looks so grown up with his new haircut and Harlie just is well...adorable! Soon all these trips will be over and life will go back to normal...how were her blood levels?

Allie said...

That's great news, all of the kids are so beautiful! Makes me want one more - wait, nevermind... :) Hope to see you soon and get our broods together!

Susan said...

I'm so glad things went much smoother this week and you MADE IT TO THE MALL! YEA! It sure looks like a blast! Our mall climbers were not as cool as that. Boy I remember those days though. My kids LOVED it! (Aside from Ainsley who would get trampled.) It's weird how fast the time goes. It's great you got pictures.