Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Drained the fluid!

Well, I think today was a pretty good day. After the increase in Lasix didn’t help, they decided to pull the fluid out with a needle. It took all day for this to be put into action. This meant that she couldn’t eat all day – but she didn’t seem to notice or mind. I think she was in her best mood since her admittance. She was all smiles to everyone. She has been getting chest x-rays every day and they started to show a pleural effusion. A pleural effusion is an accumulation of fluid between the layers of the membrane that lines the lungs and chest cavity. The main goal was to find out what the fluid was. There were several possibilities. It turned out to be chylothorax (milk).

I only know the basics now, but will learn more tomorrow. It has something to do with having cardiac surgery and the re-introduction of milk afterwards. Something about the fat from the milk leaking from the lymphatic system. Since there were several possibilities, we didn’t go into much detail prior to knowing what it was. Now that we know, we can concentrate on that.

I feel better just knowing – that is so much better than watching everyone scratch their heads. They tried again to get an IV in – but all her limbs are done with that. So, they ended up having to put one in her scalp. Anyway, the amazing thing is that they pulled 93 ccs out of her! That’s about 3.25 ounces – which is a lot for her little chest!!! She should feel so much better now. I think they said it will most likely return. But now that we know what it is, we can start to work on that. I think we will have to change her diet (take the fat out maybe?). But, I’m getting ahead of myself. They will explain it to me tomorrow.

She is snoozing comfortably now. So, more stuff to learn tomorrow. Thank you for all your prayers!

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...