Thursday, September 27, 2007

One year checkup

Well, today we went to our very first "well check" with the pediatrician - for her 1-year check up. She got four shots and she weighed in at 16 pounds, 1 ounce. But she feels so much bigger than that! I really hope she starts gaining more weight soon. We have to keep her rear-facing in the car seat until she's 20 pounds.

Tomorrow we have physical therapy and then we have to jump in the car and go to Newport News for an appointment with an ENT. He was recommended by Dr. Magee (her plastic surgeon). We will talk about her left ear (the one with no canal). So far, I haven't spoken to anyone about that ear. So, I'm anxious to learn more about what we can do, if anything.

I forgot to tell you that on Harlie's birthday, after Tom got home from work, we (the four of us) went out to dinner and then went to Build-a-Bear. There is a "champion" bear that has patches and stitches on it (from surgeries I assume). So, we got that one for Harlie with the doctor's scrubs outfit. And when we got home, I performed a tracheostomy on him. haha I'll take a picture of him and post it soon.

Murphy loved getting his "bear". He picked out the dinosaur (shocking, I know). And he loved the whole process. It was really nice to go out as a family and we all had a great time.

Oh, I found out that Harlie's surgery has been re-scheduled for Thursday, October 4th. A lot of people have asked how I kept my cool about the whole situation. But, I think I've been conditioned over the past year and a half to know that things happen - and not always the way you want them to. And I don't have the energy to waste on anger (and it would have been mis-directed as the ones I was speaking to had nothing to do with what happened). And really, it was laughable. Nothing has come easy to Harlie. So, I wasn't that surprised, really. And my mom and I had some good talks in the car on the way up and on the way back, so that was nice. I prefer comedy to drama - and it gets me through. Now, that's not to say that I can't get angry and speak my mind. You should have heard me when I spoke to that other nutritionist - the one that never returned my calls. Now, then I did get angry and I let the person who was responsible know it. But, thankfully, that hasn't had to happen much.

Well, I'll let you know how the ENT appointment goes. Talk to you later!

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...