Sunday, June 3, 2007

C-Diff and rambling...

So, the C-Diff (short for Clostridium difficile) test came back positive. So, now she’s on antibiotics to treat that. Here is a little explanation that I found:

C. difficile bacteria are everywhere — in soil, air, water, human and animal feces, and on most surfaces. The bacteria don't create problems until they grow in abnormally large numbers in the intestinal tract of people taking antibiotics or other antimicrobial drugs. Then, C. difficile can cause symptoms ranging from diarrhea to life-threatening inflammations of the colon.

It went on to say that it is most often spread while in the hospital. And to add to the risk, she was on so many antibiotics during all her line infections, including Vancomycin, which evidently is pretty powerful. She started showing symptoms while in the hospital, but everyone attributed them to her formula change. I am so glad that her nutritionist suggested the test. Hopefully, once we get this under control, she will start to gain weight again.

On Thursday, Harlie got another mold of her head made for her helmet. It should be in the second week of June. And hopefully she’ll be able to wear it with no problems so we can get her head fixed. I know it is hard to tell in the photos I post. I will take a picture from the back so you can see, too. My only fear of her being able to tolerate it is that it is so darn hot, and it is summer. She will have to wear it 23 hours a day for several months. So, we’ll just have to keep her in the a/c.

After that, we went to see her pediatrician. Nothing major happened there. Just him getting to know her and to talk about her upcoming appointments.

On Friday, her physical therapist came to see her for the first time since March. She was very pleased at how well she has done despite being in the hospital for the last 2 and a half months. She is going to come at least twice a week for the next couple months. Hopefully, between that and me working with her the rest of the week, Harlie will be sitting up on her own very soon. She has so little fat on her bum, that her tailbone is incredibly sharp. I am a little worried that sitting up for an extended period of time might hurt her. But, hopefully with the new antibiotics, we’ll start to see a faster weight gain. And maybe by the time her balance and strength can handle sitting up, she’ll be fatter.

Oh, on Thursday night I went to see Martina McBride, Rodney Atkins and Little Big Town at the coliseum with Nancy and some of her friends. I wasn’t really a Martina fan before, I was just going to go out with the girls, but seeing her live gave me a new respect for her voice. Rodney Atkins opened for her and he sings a song called If you’re going through hell. It came out last summer and the first time I heard it – it spoke to me. Of course, I was pregnant with Harlie and we knew about her chest mass and heart defects. Tom and I said that was our theme song. For those of you that don’t know the song, here are some of the words:

Well you know those times
When you feel like there's a sign there on your back
Says I don't mind if you kick me
Seems like everybody has
Things go from bad to worse
You'd think they can't get worse than that
And then they do

If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there

Anyway, it is funny how you think some songs were written for you. I think it still applies. Monday is the last day to get your Pampered Chef orders in. Well that’s it. I think you are all caught up. I hope you are all well. Talk to you soon.

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...