Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Just about 9 hours to go...

Well, it is 11pm on Wednesday night and tomorrow is the big day! Harlie will be wireless soon! We have to be at the hospital at 6:30am. That makes for an early morning since it will take us about an hour and a half to get there.

Her incisions are still looking pretty bad. I hope you're not too disappointed that I don't have new pictures to show you. hehe

We ended up taking her back to her pediatrician again on Tuesday for another shot of Rocephin. So, hopefully we got a good jump on the infection.

We've been doing the best we can to clean the site (squirting sterile water into the hole with a syringe). But that's really difficult considering the location of the infection. She drools, she vomits, hair gets caught in it and we can't just pour water over it - thanks to her trach.

Water + trach = bad.

I am so thankful that tomorrow someone else will be taking care of that wound and getting it nice and clean. Her surgeon will debride the wound, which is probably pretty disgusting, but she'll be asleep, so that's good. When Brandy and I lavaged (irrigated) the site yesterday, it took all our strength to hold her down. It was an awful experience - for all parties involved. Not mother-daughter moments I wish for, of course.

I am hoping we get the results back from the culture tomorrow. That way we'll be better able to tailor the meds to the specific germ or bacteria. I just hope it's nothing too serious.

I am also hoping that we get to come home tomorrow afternoon. There is a possibility that she'll have to stay overnight, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen. But, of course, I have to have plans for both scenarios. And if you know me at all, you probably know that I HATE logistical details. You leave at x time, drop off so-and-so (don't forget the car seat), then come and pick me up by x time to get to xyz in time for blah, blah, blah.

I'm more of a big picture kind of girl.

Yes, we're going, Hopefully we'll be on time. And hopefully we'll come back some time that day. Perfect plans as far as I'm concerned. No commitments and it's flexible, should things change.

Having to make back-up plans for a situation that might occur just makes me tired. And plans made too far in advance are sure to change, so why waste the energy? Take this procedure for instance. It was supposed to happen today. But last week they called me to tell me they had a problem with the OR schedule, so they had to move us to Thursday. Luckily all the plans that I managed to make in advance were easily changed (like who's watching Cooper and how will he get there, and who is getting Murphy, etc.). Again, logistical details I don't like to think about so I'm going to stop talking about it.

Well, that's all for now. I won't be able to update the blog during day (total bummer) but will hopefully be able to tomorrow night, from the comfort of my own home. Please wish us luck!

Many thanks!


Heather said...

good luck today Christy. I hope her wound gets the healing it needs and the wires come out perfectly leaving a beautiful jaw line. oh, and that you get to come home today with no traffic in the tunnel at all!

Janis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janis said...

Ok, let me try that again...

I am so glad Harlie is finally going wireless and will get that wound care done in the OR. Poor Girly!! I know what you mean about the planning -- ugh!! It drives me crazy when I make plans and then they fall apart only hours before. But I am a crazy planner so I just can't help myself. Hey wouldn't it be nice if we had some Versed for home use so whenever something bad has to happen we could use right before the monthly Synagis injections. (I can dream...)

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing mom. Keep up the good work. I can't imagine!! I only hope I could do as well in the same situation. But you already know all of that. Good luck my friend. Life is an adventure...and it's all worth it!!!