Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The first day of school

The first day of kindergarten went well. The morning was fine - although Cooper decided to sleep in. Not that I'm complaining, but he really could have chosen a better day for that. So, without my usual 6am wake up, Tom came home from the gym to find the house quiet at 7am. But, Murphy jumped out of bed, and was cooperative and excited about the day. He ate a nutritious breakfast of pancakes with syrup and milk and was ready to go.

On the front porch around 7:30am (he has to be in his seat at 7:50)...



Walking down our street...







For the first week of school we can walk him to his class. But after that we have to say goodbye at the "hugs and kisses zone." Which I think is so funny. But I kinda like that they are catering to our emotional needs. And speaking of emotions... right before Tom took this picture I was getting pretty teary-eyed. But, I pulled myself together and was fine. Really.



I don't know what's up with his face in the above picture. While he looks a little freaked out, he was quite excited.



Signing himself in...


And then we said goodbye and Tom and I walked back home. It really wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. But, he was so darn excited and happy and had no problem saying goodbye to us, that he made it easier for me.

At 2:15 I got to pick him up. I LOVE being able to walk to school. I love that we'll get that walking time to talk about his day. And I love to see everyone else walking, too. I guess it makes me feel more a part of the neighborhood.

Anyway, the first thing he said was that he had a "great first day of Kindergarten!" And he told me that he ate all his lunch and his snack. It helps when you pack fruit snacks and Little Debbie cakes. Just kidding. He had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grapes, cheese crackers and some little rice cake snacks.

Oh, and he got to go to the library today and he checked out two books. I'm sure that was the highlight of his day. He loves books.

Well, I do still have so much to blog about Harlie. But it is too late now for that. I will find the time this week, I promise.

Thanks,
Christy

3 comments:

Ann said...

Bravo all the way around!

Grandma said...

My doesn't he look so grown up and just so proud of going to school! One thing we all can say about Murphy...he just goes with the flow. He is so easy going and adjusts so well to all the changes in his life. Christy and Tom..take a bow...the first one is off to school.

Lindsay said...

Really cute! I was looking out the window in the morning for you guys and must've missed you! Glad it was such a positive experience for everybody!

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...