Friday, May 23, 2008

We have a surgery date!

Yesterday, Murphy had his 4 year check up. He got 6 shots and peed in a cup. The doctor asked Murphy questions and Murphy answered them without any help. It was so funny to hear their conversation. He is getting so big! Of course Murphy goes to the same pediatrician as Harlie, so it is really interesting to have two totally different kids – one that is completely average and normal (50th percentile in height and weight) and one that doesn’t follow any normals at all. I know our doc appreciates the break!

While we were at the doctor’s office our speech therapist came for Harlie’s weekly session. Brandy told me it was the best session yet. Harlie totally has the Go Talk down pat. She presses the picture of the toy she wants to play with and understands the concept. Beth (her speech therapist) taught her the sign for “help”. Brandy said she caught on immediately. Then she said that she and Beth were talking and Harlie was trying to get some legos unstuck. Harlie signed “help”, but they didn’t immediately help her so Harlie then signed “help” and then signed “please”.

And the other day she came up to me and signed “mama”. Well, I didn’t stop what I was doing, so she started signing “mama” faster and with a little attitude, like she was yelling at me. It was so funny. I’ll have to write down all the signs that she knows. I will bet that it is well over 40 by now. At this point, I need to make more of an effort to learn more myself so I can teach her. She is very ready to learn more. So, I’ve just been trying to teach her to put several signs together. It looks like she’s picking that up without much problem. She says “please” without being asked, and uses it correctly. Heck, I still have to remind Murphy to say it.

Oh, and we have a surgery date for Harlie’s bone graft jaw reconstruction. It is June 3rd. It feels good to have an official date now. Now we can start to make some plans. I am assuming she’ll be there 3-4 days or so. I have no idea what the rooms are like. I did find out that parents cannot sleep in the PICU, which is where she’ll go after surgery. Luckily the Ronald McDonald House is across the street, so now I can call and see about reservations there.

Well that’s it for now. As always, thanks for checking in!

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...