Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Update

Sorry for the long absence. I guess I just needed to take a “break”. Truthfully, I have been so busy that by the time the kids are in bed, I am way too tired to write. I calmed down after my rant. For the most part, everything’s been fine and I’ve been happy.

Although today I almost had a meltdown. Brandy was off today and it just seemed that every task took an incredible amount of time and effort to complete. I can’t tell you how many times I start a task (like unloading the dishwasher) and I have to stop and walk into the living room to help Harlie do something (like breathe). Then I walk back into the kitchen to finish unloading the dishwasher when I hear her throw up. Then I have to stop what I’m doing, and go clean it up. This repeats for several hours. Then we ran some errands, had an appointment and I got her home at 2:30 (well past her nap time - see, the appointments are rarely convenient). I took her upstairs and got her settled for her nap. Then I came downstairs to fix my lunch (yes, lunch at 2:30, I was starving and had not eaten since breakfast). I got out the food and Harlie needed me, again. So, I go back upstairs, fix the problem, then come back downstairs to finish making my lunch. Then her pulse ox alarm blares non-stop. So, I have to stop what I’m doing (try not to faint from hunger) and go back up, again, to put the probe back on her toe. The next time it was to stop her feeding. I went up those stairs 4 times in 10 minutes. Didn’t actually sit down to eat until 3:00. I am not a happy camper when I’m hungry, that’s for sure. Luckily she slept soundly, so I got to take a breather myself.

I am slightly nervous about Harlie’s secretions. They are very thick. I think that’s a bad sign. But, she’s been acting fine. Although last night I did have to turn on the oxygen concentrator. But, I am thinking it was because she was so tired. She walked a lot yesterday and then my parents came over for dinner, so she went to bed a little late. She hasn’t had any fevers and her nose isn’t running, so I really think she’s fine overall. We still have one full week before her surgery, so I will just have to be very careful with her.

Well, late last week we went and got Harlie’s foot braces. I will post a photo soon. They are cute. But you usually can’t tell she’s wearing them. They only go to her ankle and since she has to wear socks underneath the braces, the socks usually cover them. The braces look like plastic boots with no toe. They go around her foot and socks and they have velcro to strap them on and they have to be pulled VERY tight. Then the shoes go over the braces. Some special shoes came with the braces. They are made really wide and tall, so they go over the braces easily. I think they are hideous. To see her little toothpick legs go in those HUGE shoes looks really funny. Functionally, they are fine except when she is playing on the floor. Then the big, gigantic-ness of the shoes get in her way.

Traci, Harlie’s PT will oversee the use of the foot braces. She took her Keds and actually got them over the braces, which I was VERY happy about. That worked for two days. Then they started to hurt her feet. Since then, I have put the huge shoes on her. Hopefully I will be able to get her out soon to see if we can find another pair of shoes that will work. Plus, I think canvas shoes would be cooler in the hot summer. So, wish us luck.

I do think the braces are helping. She definitely walks more straight and doesn’t pronate at all (walks on the inside of her feet), which is great. I think we can expect for her to wear them through the summer and winter and we’ll see how she is after that.

Oh, and some good news. Traci suggested that we go down to one PT session per week, instead of two. She said that Harlie is doing great and at this time, she doesn’t think she needs the intensity of two sessions. Plus, it will give us more time during the summer, which I think is a wonderful thing!!! She is going to give me some specific tasks to work on each week, so I can stay focused on her activities. So, I’m happy about that.

Tom had some “guy” time this past weekend, going to the race on Friday night and a baseball game in DC on Saturday. He was thrilled with the race because a friend of ours got them tickets to the Toyota booth and he said that was really cool. But, that left me here with the kids and they kept me plenty busy. I actually found some time to clean (just in case you’re interested, Tara). I find that if I keep on it, it doesn’t get too much for me to do. It just feels like I do it all the time.

Well, tomorrow Murphy’s school is having breakfast for us moms for Mother’s Day, which I think is really cute. So, I’ll have breakfast with him in his class. That should be really interesting. Then I have an OB appointment (just my monthly checkup). Then on Friday Tom and I have an appointment to see Harlie’s cardiologist to get a fetal echocardiogram (ultrasound on the baby’s heart) on Baby #3. I am looking forward to a good report there. I will be 20 weeks along then, and hopefully he’ll be able to get some good views and hopefully everything will be as it should be. I am really starting to feel him/her move a lot now, which is great.

Well, that's about it for now. Thanks for all your comments and support after my rant. I really appreciate it!

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...