Friday, January 5, 2007

Getting better

So, after another shot of antibiotics, I think Harlie is starting to feel better. Yesterday, she weighed in at 8 pounds 6 ounces. We are a little disappointed in that since she only gained 5 ounces in 9 days. But, considering that she's been fighting this bug, I guess that's to be expected. Generally speaking, when you don't feel good, you don't tend to eat that much. So, we're not worried, we just want her to get well again so she can get on with growing.

Unfortunately, since she's been sick, we had to postpone her barium swallow and upper GI. That's pretty frustrating because the next available date isn't until February 13!!! That's another 6 weeks before we can even think about being able to feed her by mouth. I have to remember that the reason why she has a G-tube is because they expected her to need it for a long time. Otherwise, she would have a tube through her nose. I guess I was just holding out hope that they were wrong. But I am starting to learn why everything takes so long and that things just aren't as easy as you woud think.

When something is good for one part of her, it is bad for another. For example, the shots that she got over the past few days, well normally they mix the solution with a pain reducer (Lidacain) because it is a painful medication - but because of her cardiac issues, she can't have Lidacain - so she had to get both shots straight.

Also, she needed breathing treatments, but the breathing treatments increase your heart rate - so she can't have that, either. And the scary part of that is that I have to remember stuff like that because I can't let any of the doctors forget about one of her problems.

Well, I am expecting a nurse to come any minute now to interview. Hopefully, I'll like her. Okay, talk to you later.

Hope all is well,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...