Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Post-Op Day 21

Hi! Today has been a good day.

I went to the gym close to the hotel (versus the one closer to the hospital) first thing this morning and overall that was a time saver. Although my workouts are far from ideal at this point.

I stopped at the hotel front desk on my way to the hospital. I just wanted to make sure that we were still getting the medical rate. Some of the charges on my credit card were a little confusing. So, I told him my room number and he looked very confused. He said that the computer was showing that room as vacant. Then he said, "Are you sure you're in the right hotel?"  Haha! I had to laugh. Then I said, "yes, I've been here for over three weeks." Anyway, long story short, I didn't know my correct room number.  Luckily, I know which door it is. Hospital brain... He said we are still getting that rate and that I can extend after the 5th if I need to. So, that's good.

We have our favorite nurse (Alexandra) again today (and yesterday) and she did all of her stuff (abdomen packing and dressing change) that required Ketamine first thing. That way she could wake up from that and have the rest of the day available for her trach collar trial.

So, at 11:30am, they took her off the vent and put her on trach collar. It is now almost 5pm and she is doing great! And she got out of bed and went for a walk!

She wasn't thrilled about it, but she did it!

It was so funny, right after I took that picture, her diaper fell off and plopped onto the floor. It was hilarious. And I was the one that changed it, too. It's way too big for her, but when she's laying in bed its fine.

She walked maybe 30 feet or so. Then she was done. So she sat in her wheelchair and we strolled around the rest of the unit. I'm pretty sure that when she got back, she was glad she did it.

So, they are going to keep her on trach collar until she shows signs she's not tolerating it. She looks pretty good, so I'm feeling pretty good about it. Now they are going to see if she can be weaned from the oxygen.

As long as she is getting those dressing changes and getting Ketamine for her abdomen, then she has to stay in the ICU. But, if she does well lung wise, then hoepfully we can go home the second her abdomen is healed enough to stop packing it. They tell me at least one more week for that.

They deflated the cuff around her trach, but she's not making any noise. When I try to get her to attempt to talk, she shakes her head no. Alexandra said that her throat could be sore. I'm sure that when she's ready she will try to talk. I would just like to hear her. It has been so long since I've heard her talk or laugh. Although, I have a feeling they will have to downsize her trach for optimal sound. I'll talk to ENT at some point this week and see what they think.

So, overall, I'm feeling much better about where we are.
It feels good to finally post some really good news. Progress!!

Thank you so much for hanging in there with me and reading these updates. I feel less alone knowing that so many people care! Seriously, I would be a mess without your amazing support!! Thank you!

Much love,
Christy xoxo


kaswad227 said...

Woohoo Harlie! Keep going girl!!

KC Soren said...

Proud of you both! Fightin' girls!!❤️❤️❤️

TRI-Chica Lilo said...

You've got this Harlie!