Sunday, August 10, 2008

Murphy's Surgery and a little vent

Sorry I've been such a slacker posting lately. Boy can I tell I am nearing the end of my pregnancy. I am just lacking the energy to type. Who knew writing could take so much effort?

Well, tomorrow is Murphy's turn to have surgery. He needs to have surgery because he has a communicating hydrocele. That shouldn't be that big of a deal, really. The bad part is that he is also getting a circumcision revision. Ouch. But he is normally a brave kid, so hopefully he'll be just fine. We started to talk to him about it today. Luckily the surgeon is the same surgeon that did Harlie's nissen, so when I told him that the doctor has helped Harlie before, I think that made him feel better. I guess the frequency with which we talk about doctors and hospitals, he doesn't seem bothered by it. Ah, I love our "normal".

And then next week we have Harlie's heart cath. And I think every week from here on out we have numerous doctor's appointments. And somehow I'm supposed to squeeze in a swallow study for Harlie so my speech therapist can be given the green light to put food in her mouth. I really don't know how in the world I'm going to get that in. I tried to schedule it myself last week, but they won't let the parent schedule it. Which makes NO sense to me whatsoever. I know all the details. And I have my very complicated calendar. I guess I will have to ask my speech therapist if she can schedule it when she's at my house this week for Harlie's therapy. Then at least she'll have my calendar in front of her. I did have to say to the lady who told me I couldn't schedule it myself that they are just making my already more difficult life more difficult, thank you very much. She said she knew and that she was sorry. Yeah, I'm so sure.

I think I'm just getting frustrated at the little things that could be different that would make such a BIG difference to someone like me. I mean, it's not like I just woke up one day and said, "Gee, I think I'd like to get a swallow study done on my kid, just because I've got nothing better to do. And that's just as much fun for my kid as going to Chuck E. Cheeses." Clearly, if I'm calling about a swallow study, I've already consulted with my doctor or speech therapist or someone of "authority" who told me to get the darn swallow study in the first place. Seriously, do they have a bunch of parents who are trying to get their kids in for swallow studies without their doctor's okay???? Is this some weird trend I'm not aware of?

And while I'm venting...I took both Harlie and Murphy to the store this weekend to get Murphy a pair of swimming goggles. I was feeling brave, and took them by myself (Tom was out of town). I let Harlie walk in her walker - she's getting better and better the more I expose her to the general public. So, we go in - and since it is very hard to control where she walks (without killing my back by bending over 50 million times to re-direct her) I ask the first employee I see where the kid's goggles are. Upstairs. Oh goody. Now I have to ask - why do they put the kids section UPSTAIRS? So every parent with a stroller has to go find the hidden elevator? Lovely.

So, this is something I never noticed until I had kids. The elevators in stores are NEVER located in a central area - they are always in some weird back corner. Like an elevator is shameful or something. Now, this is a pain in the butt when you've got a stroller. But, it is so much WORSE for someone who is handicapped. Of all people, they need to be as efficient as possible with their steps and energy. Now does that make any sense at all? And Harlie tires out so easily. I can't let her waste her steps! So I have to ask, why can't they put the elevator where the escalator is? Seriously is that an engineering impossibility??? Would those of us not handicapped really mind?? Okay, I'll stop now.

I should go anyway. We are about to have dinner and then we all need to get to bed early so we can get up early for Murphy's surgery. We have to have him at MCV at 6:30am. It is going to be very weird to not let him eat/drink when he wakes up. That is never a concern for Harlie. Ah, the bonuses of having a non-oral eater!!

Take care,
Christy

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...