Thursday, June 5, 2008

Post-Op Day 1

Well, they were right, she looked worse today (Wednesday). But, honestly, not as bad as I was expecting. I forgot that they told us yesterday that normally they can’t open their eyes because they are swollen shut. Luckily, only one is swollen shut – her right eye. That is the side that had the most trauma. They harvested the bone from the right side of her skull (cut her from her right ear to the top of her head) and she was lying toward her right, so all the blood seemed to pool on that side.

They removed the bandages today. Karen (Dr. Magee’s nurse and coordinator) said that after the bandages are removed the swelling will be more spread out over her head and not so concentrated in her face. She said that the peak will be on the 3rd day and then it will get better from there on out.

Dr. Magee and Dr. Rosenblum came by today. Dr. Magee apologized for missing us yesterday. At least that was something. He said she looks great. They also said that they are going to schedule the wire removal for 8 to 10 weeks from now. So, we’ll just have to see what they give us. She will need anesthesia, but it will be an outpatient procedure, which is good.

They also took out the drain that was on the right side of her face. She is definitely bleeding less, but still more than I am comfortable with. Today she flipped herself over on her belly (scared me to death and I had to turn away – luckily the nurse was there when she did it) and I could see all the blood that was on the bed. I will be much happier when she’s not bleeding anymore. Well, duh, right? Heck, for that matter, I’ll be much happier when it’s the end of August and all this is behind us!

They started feeding her a little today. And they stopped the morphine and sedation meds. Normally, I’m glad about getting off the IV meds, but, I have to say, I would rather her sleep through as much of this as possible. She opened her left eye today and looked at me and started crying. She doesn’t cry much, but I think it’s because it hurts – to cry, I mean. She starts to, and then stops pretty quickly. She reached out her arms to me, which broke my heart. I can only imagine how she must feel. She looks like she’s been hit by a train. The pictures just don’t do her justice. She looks much worse in person.

The plan is that she will stay in the PICU tonight (Wed), and possibly move to the floor tomorrow (Thurs). The good thing is that here they have a place for trach kids. It only has 5 beds though, so if there’s an open bed there, that’s where she’ll go. I’m fine with that. Her trach has always been the issue with the floor with me. Anyway, then, they are thinking they will discharge her on Friday. Frankly, it is VERY hard for me to think about taking her home. This is the first time I’m not rushing her out the door. It is just hard to believe that she’ll go home like that. I joked that I cannot take her to Murphy’s school to pick him up any time soon, that’s for sure.

Well, it is late and I really need to get some sleep. I added some photos. Some might consider them “rough”, so be prepared. I did spare you the one of her head incision. Once it’s cleaned up a little more, it won’t look so bad and then I can show you.

Thank you again for all your messages. It has been REALLY nice coming “home” (to Matt and Mel’s house) to read them. What a difference it makes to know that I have your support.

Take care,

No comments: