Tuesday, June 17, 2008

2 weeks down, 7 to go...

Well, clearly I lied about posting the photos (still haven’t done it). I don’t know where the days have gone, but by the time the kids are in bed, I don’t have the energy to write or upload the photos. Sorry about that.

Murphy’s first day of summer program was Monday. He will go to school full days, only Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (he was going every day). His school has swimming classes there (they have a pool onsite) on Mondays and Wednesdays, which we are all excited about. Although, Murphy is a VERY cautious child, and only wants to play with his toys on the steps. He has no desire to actually swim. So, we’ll see what happens after a few weeks.

Today I took him to see Dr. Lanning (the same surgeon who did Harlie’s nissen a month ago). He will have to have a minor surgery (in and out the same day) next Friday. To go to the appointment, he had to skip his nap. This is a big problem for him because he is a good napper and in my opinion, really NEEDS his nap, if you know what I mean. So, we go to the appointment and I check in. The doctor was called into surgery and he’s going to be about an hour late. Considering this is the second time this has happened, I say, okay, we’ll wait. We brought some books and I thought I could keep him entertained. Well, I thought wrong. By the time the doc got there, Murphy had enough of that sitting still crap and was ready to run. Oh boy, am I in for a treat after Baby #3 gets here. I don’t know what happened to my well behaved little boy. All I know is that this kid wants what he wants and is ready to argue – and test our limits. Fabulous.

Harlie is doing well. We had physical therapy on Monday and she did very well. We are working on trying to get her to walk between two people – without any support. She is VERY scared. But she did manage to take a few steps without assistance. She seems to understand that she needs to balance herself, and she’s even managed to stand still for a few seconds without holding on to something. But, she has no desire to let go. Traci said that we need to work on that every day. So, Brandy and I tried this afternoon. She didn’t do that well and then Tom and I tried tonight, and she wanted NO parts of it – at all. Traci said the hardest part will be getting her to want to do it. That’s something she just has to do on her own. Trust me – you cannot make her. It is very frustrating to see her struggle so much with fear when normal kids don’t even think about it. But Traci explained that she is older now and much more aware, so she’s that much more cautious and resistant. And she has other means of mobility which, in her opinion, probably suit her just fine. When we meet again next Monday we are going to go to the play area in the mall and see if that will get her motivated to go from one place to another. I was really hoping that she would be walking on her own by the time the baby arrived. I would really be happy if she would at least be willing to walk by me holding her by one hand only. She’s made a lot of progress in less than three months before, so who’s to say it can’t happen again, right?

I’ve started to introduce more signs to her. She really takes to them very quickly. Usually you only have to show her once or twice and she’s got it. She knows almost 40 words now. She really shocked us the other day when she came up to Brandy and signed “change diaper” to her. Brandy checked, and yes, she did indeed need her diaper changed. That makes twice that she’s done that.

Her incisions are looking good and the bruising under her jaw is fading (although slowly). I will be very happy when the swelling is completely gone. Her surgery was two weeks ago today. So, just seven more weeks till the wires come out! Not that I’m counting or anything.Well, that’s about it for tonight. And now it is too late for me to mess with photos. Maybe tomorrow…

As always, thanks for checking in!

Take care,

No comments: