Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cranial Mold

Hi. Today was a busy day. We had our weekly appointment with the pediatrician. Unfortunately, during her hospital stay, they took a blood culture and it came back with a possible germ. They are thinking that if she really had that germ, she would be way sick, but she’s not. So, they think the test isn’t accurate. So, they had to take more blood today and they usually have to stick her a couple of times before getting any. I tell you, this girl is going to be immune to pain pretty soon.

They weighed her as usual, but the weight can’t be right. Last week she weighed 10 pounds, 1 ounce. Today she weighed 10 pounds, 10 ounces. Although I wish that were true, there is no way she gained that much weight when she went 2 days without her normal feedings. She has been on Lasix since she was born and they just told me to stop giving it to her. Lasix helps your body get rid of excess fluid (to help prevent congestive heart failure). Today she was so junky (had a lot of secretions) and her lungs sounded really wet. So, we gave her a dose of Lasix and we’ll see how she does. Already she sounds better.

Unfortunately she needs her monthly RSV shot, so we have to go back tomorrow morning for that. Dr. Smith said considering how she sounded, it wasn’t a good idea to give her that shot today. So, I guess we’ll weigh her again in the morning and see what that weight is.

This afternoon the physical therapists came over to get a mold of her head for a cranial remodeling band (aka helmet). They were so nice to make a house call for us so we didn’t have to go out again. I can’t tell you how great it feels to know that people will go out of their way to help Harlie stay comfortable. Well, we laughed so hard! Harlie was hysterical. She loved getting the mold made. She didn’t cry until she took the mold OFF! She said that’s a good sign that she will tolerate the band. I picked out a patterned band – we will either get pink bunnies, or a Dalmatian print, whatever is available (there wasn't much to choose from). I figure we might as well have fun with it. I took lots of pictures and posted them so check them out when you get a chance. Well, that’s it for tonight.

Talk to you later!

No comments: