Thursday, February 3, 2011

Productive Day!

I had such a productive day yesterday!  Since this is not necessarily the norm, I thought I'd share.  Here's what I accomplished:

Phone calls:

  • Preschool contact regarding changing Harlie's individualized educational plan (IEP) to include homebound services while recovering from spinal fusion
  • New speech therapist confirming appointment and asking about home services (if available)
  • Rehab company to secure rental of reclining wheelchair
  • Harlie's nutritionist from years ago about becoming her patient again
  • A preschool I want to look into for Cooper for the fall
  • Children's National Medical Center (CNMC) - scheduling Harlie's pre-op appointments (that took forever and involved multiple phone conversations and we aren't done yet)
  • Our social worker at CNMC

I also:

  • did laundry
  • took a 1-hour TRX class at the gym
  • went to the grocery store
  • vacuumed and mopped the kitchen floor

I was pretty pleased with myself.  Especially since I had a sick kid at home, too!

Murphy stayed home yesterday and today with the stomach bug.  It hit him during gymnastics on Tuesday afternoon.  He told me during class that he didn't feel good.  And then on the way home - in the car - I could tell he was going to throw up.  Luckily I had a small paper bag (the kind with twine handles) and I tossed it to him just in time.  Whew!  He continued to vomit from 3pm to 3am.  Poor guy! It was not a fun night, that's for sure.

Luckily after that last time at 3am, he was done.  So yesterday he just hung out on the couch watching movies.  He didn't eat or drink a thing - despite my constant prodding for him to at least stay hydrated with Gatorade and eat a banana.  Today he is much better, but I wanted him to eat something and get some of his energy back before sending him to school.  So, he'll return tomorrow.
 
So, I walked into Murphy's room the other night to say good-night and him and Tom were having a serious talk.  He asked Tom if he died and went to Heaven if he could ask God if he could come back.  This obviously lead to more talking.  I tried to comfort him and told him that one thing that makes me feel better is to pray.  So, I said, "Dear God, thank you for all the blessings..." and that's when Murphy stopped me.  He said, "Wait a minute.  What's a blessing"?  Too funny!

Tonight I have a parent/teacher conference with Harlie's preschool teacher and hearing impaired teacher. And Murphy and Tom are touring a local radio station with his cub scout troop.  Pretty cool.

That's it for now.  More later!

Thanks!
~Christy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its a DEN honey, a Cub Scout Den. And a big shout out to Casey for staying 2 hours late to show (4) - 6 yr olds how a radio station works...should be interesting.

Allie said...

If they ever want to tour a television station, let me know... Glad you got so much accomplished!

Ann said...

You know Christy, with all you have to handle in your "regular" ol' life .... just getting up every day and getting through it is productive. Remember that on those days you feel "unproductive". I'm glad your day included some time for you at the gym.

Hugs,
Ann

p.s. Go Packers! :)

Christy said...

Allie - Thanks! I'll tell Tom.

Ann - Funny. I will remember that next week when I'm not productive at all! Oh, and Go Steelers!

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...