Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Busy days.

Tomorrow is Therapy Thursday.  Cooper has preschool and Harlie has feeding therapy, physical therapy and her speech evaluation with her new speech therapist.  And after all that I have an appointment with my chiropractor.  Hopefully he will tell me I can start running again.  I know my inability to run the past two months has greatly contributed to my funk.

I saw my chiropractor on Monday.  He said I need to do one-legged squats.  Ugh.  They are not fun.  But I need to build up my strength to help keep the ITB injury from coming back.  So, I decided to do a TRX class today at the gym.  I haven't done one in months.  It is really hard.  And clearly I forgot just how hard it is.  It kicked my butt!  And I will surely be sore tomorrow!!! Here's a video of what it looks like.  There are a million different exercises and degrees of difficulty.

I really needed to do something to get myself motivated again.  I am supposed to run the Shamrock Half Marathon in Virginia Beach on March 20th.  Just two months away!  Hopefully once I get back to running I will catch up quickly.

Friday is super busy.  Cooper has preschool, Tom and I have a follow-up child study meeting at Murphy's school (more on that later), Harlie has gymnastics, preschool, then in the afternoon she has an ENT appointment, and Murphy has a doctor's appointment.  I haven't quite figured out all the logistics yet.  For example, the meeting and Harlie's gymnastics are at the same time.  I got that one covered, but haven't worked out the kinks for her ENT appointment (which puts me on the other side of town during Cooper's nap and Murphy's school dismissal) and making it back home to get Murphy and take him to his doctor's appointment.  It will be tight to say the least.

After two days in a row of running around and not being at home at all, I will be so glad for Friday night!

Here are some random things from this week so far:

  • Harlie's eating is going much better.  We got in four oral feedings today, which is the most we've been able to get in a long time.  I am so much happier when she eats well. 
  • The other night Harlie was playing with a baby doll and a medical kit.  She took out her hearing aid so she could listen to the baby's heart with her stethoscope (it was really cute).  I love to see her pretend play, which she rarely does.  I went to put Cooper in bed and when I came back into her room, her hearing aid was gone.  It is clipped to her trach ties or shirt.  I asked her where it was, but she didn't answer me, which is typical.  When asked a question she usually just looks at me like I'm a total nut.  I looked around for it - checked the trash can, etc.  Couldn't find it, so I got a little inpatient and angrily signed, "Where is your hearing aid?"  She whimpered and turned around and pointed to her hearing aid case on her dresser.  She had taken it off, opened the battery compartment (which turns it off) and put it away - right where it belonged.  Oops.  I felt SO horrible! I signed, "Mommy's sorry, good girl!"  I felt like a total heel.  But she hugged me and all was fine.  
  • Murphy lost another tooth last night.  I think it was his 6th tooth lost so far.  
  • Cooper only knows one speed - RUNNING!  When we walked to get Murphy from school this afternoon, Cooper RAN the entire way!  I think he's pretty fast, too.  I have to jog to keep up with him.  Since we ran, we got there early.  Walkers get dismissed into the gym, so that's where we wait.  Cooper sat on one side of the gym, and then got up and ran to the other side and back, laughing the whole time.  He sat again, then jumped up and did it again.  He must have done that four times!  Then he ran to greet Murphy, then ran out of the gym and ran all the way home.  I hope he sleeps good tonight!  
  • Speaking of sleeping, Cooper is driving us crazy.  Maybe someone reading this will have some experience/wisdom to share??  We moved him to a big boy bed in November.  He did great sleeping through the night for a few weeks or so.  Then he started waking up and coming into our room.  Several times a night.  We pick him up and take him back to his room and tuck him in.  He never complains, in fact he doesn't make a sound at all.  I thought for sure just quietly walking him back to his bed would do the trick.  But we are several weeks into it now - and there has been NO improvement.  It is at least twice a night and last night it was three times.  It is so frustrating!  And we are so tired!!!  Maybe all the running he did today will help.  My fingers are crossed!

Well, that's it for tonight.  Thanks for reading!


Just Diane said...

Maybe a gate at his door for a bit? When my oldest was a little guy I had to use that tactic and it worked but for a few nights he slept on the floor by the gate.

Sara Cohen said...

We used a gate at the door too. I felt badly like I was locking him in, but after two nights of falling asleep at the gate, he stayed in his bed! Good luck!

Christy said...

Thanks, girls! I was afraid that he would climb over the gate. But, I think it is worth a try. I'll let you know how it goes!