Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Norfolk

So, we had our monthly trip to Norfolk today to see Harlie's Infectious Disease doc.  She's now been on antibiotics for three months.  The normal treatment for a bone infection is between three to six months.  I don't know if there's a connection (the doc said he doubted it) but she's been well the entire time, without so much as a cold.  In light of her upcoming heart cath and surgery, I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to go on ahead and keep her on the Levaquin until her heart surgery.  Her doc agreed.

At first I thought he was going to let us skip the blood work today.  But then he decided he wanted to see her levels.  Her hemoglobin is on the high side, but it has been since February, and he's thinking that's just her normal considering her heart condition.  I'm not going to worry about it.  We'll be in good hands cardiac-wise in just a few weeks, anyway.

Getting blood this time was WAY more difficult than the last time.  Both of the lab techs had to come to work on her, so she held up the line for a while.  The worst is when they stick the needle in and then move it all around.  I think they call that "fishing" for a vein.  It's gross and I know it hurts.  So, she's sporting some good, ugly bruises on both arms.  We have to remove the band aids as soon as possible because she acts like her arm is broken as long as the band aids are there.

She's a funny girl.  Most kids her age show off their boo-boos like trophies.  And want band aids.  She never, ever points her boo-boos out.  It's as if she can't even see them.  Or maybe she's always seen them, so they're just a part of her.  I don't know.  I just think it's weird.

Anyway, after they finally got what they needed, she was soaking wet from crying, drooling and sweating.  And Brandy wasn't much better, considering she was the one who was holding her.  I've decided I will take the help in that area whenever it is available.  There are going to be (and have been) plenty of times when I'm the only one there and can't rescue her/comfort her when it's over.  I much prefer that role!

So, we go back in another month.  Lots of road trips ahead.  Fun, fun!

No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...