Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving...a little late.

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. We had the most quiet Thanksgiving we've EVER had. My parents went to Florida to visit my aunt and uncle for the holiday, my big brother, Bruce, and his family went to Northern Va, my little brother, Cabell, and his girlfriend went to her family's house, and my sister had her in-laws. So, that left us and my aunt that lives here in Richmond. So, it was just the six of us. Although, Harlie played outside that afternoon and by dinnertime she was wiped out and fell fast asleep on the couch (which she NEVER does, well, I guess I can't say never anymore, huh?). Anyway, so with Cooper and Harlie sleeping, it left the four of us at the table. But, Tom made a GREAT spread and we had fun and enjoyed the peace and quiet for a little while.

Unfortunately, Cooper had a terrible night. He coughed all night long. He's been fighting this cold for a while now (like weeks) and it just seemed to get noticeably worse all of a sudden. So, as soon as the peds office opened, I called and made an appointment for him. Although I have to tell you - deciding to take one of my "well" children in to the doctor is not easy for me. My perspective is so different now after all that we've been through with Harlie. I'm afraid that I've become a little desensitized. For example, he asked me how his work of breathing has been - labored? Um, no. I think. His nose isn't flaring, I know that. But I saw how hard Harlie worked to breathe last summer - like respirations over 100 was her NORM! So, what do I know??? Anything seems better than that. But I have to look at his baseline, not hers! Get a grip, Christy!

So, anyway, the ped did not like his cough at all, or the way his lungs sounded. So he checked his sats with their pulse ox and his sats were low 90s, high 80s (which is not good). So, he told me to take him to the ER for chest x-rays, RSV test, and pertussis test. And he told me to not be surprised if he was admitted. WHAT? Admitted? Cooper and not Harlie??? Whoa!

So, off to the ER we go. They took some blood and started an IV (he was such a champ, too, hardly even cried) plus they took a swab for the RSV test. Which came back positive! He has RSV. Luckily, it doesn't seem too terrible right now. And with my oxygen, pulse ox, and nebulizer availability, they let us take him home. There's nothing they can do for RSV, other than monitor him and give him oxygen when needed. And I can do that at home. So the risk of him catching something worse at the hospital is greater than the risk of bringing him home. So, we did. Hopefully we'll keep him here. Oh, and he has another double ear infection to boot (his second in just 2 months)! My poor little guy!!!

On a lighter note.. the other day, Harlie wanted to go outside with Murphy. Here's how it played out:

Gotta get my brother's hat on...





Okay, I'm all set...





Gotta sign "outside" just in case the hat and standing by the door isn't enough...





Here, I'll even open the door for myself...




No??? I can't go???





UGH!






Guess I don't need the stupid hat after all. Mean mommy.



And another day with her refusing to take a nap. Despite sitting in her crib for over 2 hours! Man, is she stubborn!!! So by dinner time this is what happened...










And lastly, I'll leave you with a few recent pics of Cooper. He's my round-faced charmer. He really is a sweet baby.














Take care!
~Christy

5 comments:

Kim said...

Poor Cooper! Sorry to hear about the RSV. You, my dear, need a break!!

Hope you're doing ok, and that Cooper gets through this quickly. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! You have quite the life! I hope Cooper gets well soon and fights off the rsv. Harile is hilarious and good to see her walking around and acting like a child her age. What a trooper!

Donna said...

Ugg Christy - does it ever end?!? I'm sorry to hear about Cooper - but so glad you can take him home...SOMETIMES it's nice to be "hospital equipped" isn't it?!? I can't tell you how many times I've hooked Zach up to the pulse ox rather than going to the dr!
I can't beleive how big Harlie looks in those pictures! She's so funny. We NEED to get something on the calendar - I'd like to meet Cooper before he starts Kindergarten! :)

Christy said...

Yes, having a house equipped with medical supplies and equipment sure has come in handy! If it weren't for that, he would have been admitted for sure! Yes, we have to get together soon!

Donna said...

What are you guys doing this weekend? Oh, and don't worry - I don't hold Tom against you - I'm just going to add a little something extra to his food or beverage next time we meet! :)

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...