Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm back...

Wow. That's the longest I think I've ever gone without writing in my blog. A whole week. Well, it's been a busy week. Lots of learning and adjusting going on.

Last Monday (the day after we brought Cooper home) Harlie had her 2-year well check up with her pediatrician. It was her 120th doctor's appointment (not counting her 5+ months in the hospital, of course). Not that I'm counting... Anyway, it was the first appointment that I had to miss. Tom and Brandy took her and I stayed home with Cooper. Unfortunately, Dr. Derco said she had an ear infection. It was only a few weeks ago that her ENT had to remove her old ear tube because it was not in the right place. At the time, he could not put a new one in because he had to remove a granuloma that had grown in her ear canal and that had to heal before putting a new tube in. Unfortunately, she doesn't have a local ENT here in Richmond. And the thought of taking her to DC to get another tube doesn't sound very pleasant. So, it looks like I might need to find an ENT here for something that routine. I just can't see spending all day in DC for a tube!

Harlie is doing great with her walking. She walks everywhere now. She is doing great with Cooper, too. No issues with him at all so far. She has really surprised everyone with how well she is adjusting to him being home. When he cries she goes over to him and wants to give him a pacifier (although he doesn't really want one) and she signs "baby" and "crying" and rubs his head gently. The other day she wanted to hold him so we put her on the couch and I put him on her lap and she leaned over and gave him a kiss on his forehead. It was so darn cute! Murphy is the same way - always wanting to hold him and kiss him.

Cooper is doing well. The only "problem" we have is that he is not gaining weight like we would like. He weighed 8.3 when he was born, and 7.12 when we left the hospital last Sunday. On Wednesday he weighed 7.9 and today (5 days later) he only weighed 7.10. The rule of thumb is that he should be gaining about a half an ounce per day. And one ounce in 5 days isn't cutting it. I don't know what is up with my kids, but they have all struggled with weight gain. It is very frustrating when I try to do everything right and they still don't gain. Dr. Derco wants to see him again on Friday, so we'll see what happens.

Well, speaking of Cooper, he is waking up and is probably pretty hungry. I'll have to post some pictures of him soon. He is pretty cute if I do say so myself.

Take care,


Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Harlie likes her new brother!!Hope her ear infection gets well soon and Cooper gains some weight by Friday!

Ornberg Clan

Donna said...

"Welcome Back"! :)
Glad to hear everyone is adjusting well!!!
For what it's worth, we had to take Alex to an ENT yesterday and we saw Dr. Tarasidis at St. Mary's...he was awesome!

Sue Mitchell said...

We've missed reading about the family but knew you had to be pretty busy. Can't wait to see pictures of Cooper (and Harlie & Murphy with Cooper!)

Take care,


Pap Pap said...

Once again in reference to the cookies; about 140 people attended the wedding for which the gals had baked over 400, yes FOUR hundred, dozen. Do the math and you'll understand why the leftovers.