Thursday, February 22, 2018

Post-Op Day 1

Oh, I'd love to know how many times I've written "Post-Op Day 1."  Wait, maybe I wouldn't.

She got out of surgery sometime after 8pm last night. We were the last parents in the waiting room. Tom cracks me up and he posted this picture on Facebook last night...

$5 if you can guess who is still in the OR.

Dr. Preciado (her ENT) came out to let us know he was done and that he took the cartilage from her good ear. He doesn't think it will negatively affect her ear's appearance.

He closed up the stoma that was in the cricoid cartilage and remove as much scar tissue as he could. However, her skin was so tight, he had to leave some so he could close it. He said he can revise that down the road.

We had to check-in to the Ronald McDonald House before 9pm. Since it takes time to get her in her room and settled before they allow her to have visitors, we couldn't wait to see her. So we left, got checked in at the RMH and then went and got dinner.

On our way out of the restaurant, I had to laugh becuse our waitress said, "Have a great night!" Sure thing, Lady! So, I said, "Thanks, you too!"

Then we went back to the hospital  to see her. No matter how many times I see her a mess like this, it still takes my breath away for a minute.


Her nurse said that unfortunately they had to restrain her and give her a paralytic. She is a fighter.




We stayed for a while, answered a bunch of questions and asked about a special bed to help prevent pressure sores. Her nurse said it has already been ordered, but won't come till Thursday. Then we left to go back to the RMH, get me unpacked and get some rest. On our way there I remembered that I forgot my toothbrush and CVS was closed. I was pretty bummed about this. So, we got a freebie from the RMH. But, as I unpacked, I found my toothbrush! YAY! You have no idea how happy that made me. I'm still happy about it, and it is the next day!

But, our neighbor was up well past midnight very upset about the fact that someone didn't know their daughter's nurse's name. Her daughter is a baby (I learned that from information I overheard) and quite frankly, I think being mad about that seems a bit harsh. But, whatever. I think it was much more reasonable to be mad about the fact that I could hear her problems, but that she couldn't hear mine. And that both, her problems more so than mine, were keeping me from sleeping!

Okay, on to today, Post-Op Day 1...

Her eyes don't close all the way when she's out like this, so they are putting goo in them and they are now taped shut.


They have added a few meds and drips...


And she is still on a paralytic. She will remain on it throughout the day, I believe. They will reassess tomorrow, I think. This is what happened in Boston, and they ended up keeping her on it for 7 days. The team here said she requires such a high dose of sedation and she still moves her head (which is bad for her airway healing and stability).  We will just have to see what happens in the next couple of days.

They are trying to move her to try and prevent another pressure ulcer, but moving her is tricky with her fragile airway. The special bed still hasn't arrived.

They are going to start her feeds today. We'll see how that goes. I'm a little worried because when they tried that in Boston, her body just couldn't process it.

PT came to move her arms and legs.

They had to remove her earrings during the surgery last night. I asked the team this morning if we could put them back in. It seems like such a little thing. But if she woke up and found her ears had closed up, she would be very upset. They said yes, and when I went to put the left one in, it had already closed! I had to poke it through the bottom and it totally grossed me out. I think it was super weird to be doing something that she would've fought me over, but she couldn't.

Tom left this morning to go back to work. The area between the hospital and the Ronald McDonald House has changed a lot - for the better. There is a Barnes and Noble and a Starbucks and some cute places to eat about a mile away. So, I might venture out for lunch.

Okay, that's it for now. Hopefully the rest of the day and night will be uneventful.

Thank you so much for all the love and support! I know many of struggle with what to say to us. But, just know that letting us know you're thinking of us makes a positive difference in our spirits. So, thank you for that.

Much love,
Christy xo


2 comments:

Robin Kargoll said...

Great to read your updates as always. Sending warm wishes and hope you can get to Barnes and Nobles and relax for a bit today.

Jennie Bucciero said...

I have been following for a while as we have a mutual friend. You have an unbelievable strength...clearly where Harlie gets it. Prayers for you all right now from Chicago.

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...