Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Mabel

Hi!  So, our big good news around here is that we got a puppy!  She is a Pug and she is soooo cute!  We love her so much already!





After we got home from Boston back in September, Tom and I were talking about how things changed and how we were going to go forward.  We all lost a lot of freedom (that we all worked so hard to achieve) and it was hard to think about how we were going to adjust and make the most of things.  I said that we were just going to have to figure out a way to be happy, re-prioritize and focus on what we could do.  All easier said than done.

Then, on December 19th the breeder where we got Rooney posted on her Facebook page that one of her Pugs had puppies and there was a picture of them.


I took one look at that picture and immediately sent her a message asking her to add me to her waiting list.  The next day, Tom and I went for a walk and I told him that I did that.  He sighed heavily, and then said, "Okay, but let's not tell the kids and surprise them."  Done.  I love that we were on the same page with so little words spoken.  I had my argument all ready.  Harlie is home all day, everyday and she has so few friends.  Our freedom to travel is gone (did we ever really have it?).  And dogs are great therapy. But, I didn't need to say any of that. We have the same goal: find happiness anyway.  And her name is Mabel.

She was the runt of the litter.  And she is just the cutest thing!  It was hard to keep the secret from the kids (just because I wanted to talk about my excitement with everyone).  I thought for sure I was going to blow it, but I didn't.

On Saturday, February 10, we went to go get her.  The breeder is in Appomattox and it was about a two hour drive.  So, we told the kids we were going to visit an old friend.  They said, "Ok" and got in the car without a single question!  Geez!

As we pulled up the driveway, the kids immediately noticed a lot of Pug decorations.  When we went into her house, Cooper looked into the puppy room and said, "This is heaven!"  They still had no idea why we were there!  Tom had to tell them that we were going to take one home and they were in shock!  Cooper said skeptically, "Do we really get to take one home?"  Man, you play one April Fool's joke on a kid (years ago and not about a puppy) and they never let you forget it!

Harlie was the happiest, just look at her face!




Harlie's nurse, Brandy, got Mabel's brother for her family.  Her daughter has grown up with Rooney and had been begging for a Pug.  What better situation than to work and be able to bring your puppy to work with you every day?  She named him Morty.  He is a pound bigger than Mabel.  And they are adorable together!

Morty is on the left and Mabel is on the right.

Mabel and Morty were exposed to kennel cough from a vet visit right before they were due to come home.  So the breeder put the puppies on an antibiotic before the rest of them were symptomatic.  I think that really helped because she only coughed a few times over 24 hours and was done.  But, I never got Rooney vaccinated for that, so on Thursday when the breeder told me about it, I took him to the vet so he could vaccinated.  But, it takes a while for it to work.  So, on Saturday I asked a friend to keep Rooney until I could take Mabel to the vet on Monday.

She weighed in at 3 pounds, 1 ounce. To try and demonstrate how tiny she is (pictures dont do her justice), I put one of our guinea pigs next to her.


I had to laugh at myself, because as he was listening to her heart, I was holding my breath expecting him to say she had a problem.  But, he didn't and she doesn't.  Apparently I'm the one with the problem!  And he said that I could bring Rooney home!  Even though we were distracted by the new puppy, our house just wasn't the same without him!  So, we went to get him Monday night.  As soon as the kids saw him they all exclaimed, "Look how much he's grown!"  Haha!  After getting used to a 3 pound puppy, he did look like a giant!





I mentioned in a previous post that I had not been taking very many photos lately.  Well, that's changed.  I've probably taken a thousand in the last week!  Having three Pugs running around is so fun!  Rooney is so great with Mabel and Morty.  He's so tolerant of them and all their short bursts of crazy energy.  So many times I've asked myself why we waited this long to get another one.  But, I suppose things happen when they're supposed to happen.  We needed her now.  And we are so grateful to have her.

If she gets out of my sight, I know where to look for her - next to her food, in true Pug fashion.


Her first bath...


We love her so much!



Tomorrow we drive back to DC for her stoma revision surgery (in simplest of terms he is going to see if he can give her a new trach site).  She will be sedated for a week, until they can do the first "new" trach change.  It is surgery on her airway, and thus, has it's risks.  I am definitely nervous given what happened in Boston ("new" trach and sedated for a week sounds WAY too familiar).  But, I am trying to compartmentalize that because I don't have a choice and must go forward, despite my fears.

I am really hoping that when she wakes up, pictures of Mabel and the excitement of going home to her will be healing. 

I'll be writing while in DC and will try really hard to keep you updated.

Much love!
Christy xo





No comments:

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...