Friday, August 31, 2012

Post-op Day 7

Harlie is feeling much better today. She actually asked me to brush her teeth this morning. And she is now letting us wipe her mouth. Those are some big improvements!

After Tom got to the room this morning, I left and ran the park. I was supposed to run 6 miles, but wasn't sure I felt up to it. But, while running in the park, I ended up running with a girl and we chatted and the miles just went by. So I ended up running my 6, and they were very enjoyable to boot!

When I got back to the hospital, I found Harlie up in a chair.

In that photo she was pressing the up and down buttons on the side of her bed with her toe. She thought that was funny. And Tom told me that physical therapy came by and got her up walking a little bit with a walker (in her room only - baby steps). Her spirits are definitely up.

We gave her a bath and washed her hair for the first since since surgery. She protested, but I KNOW she felt so much better after. When we towel dried her hair, the towel was brown. There's still some blood in her hair. It will take a few washings I guess. But she wasn't up for repeats today. That wore her out and then she took a nap. She definitely struggle a bit when she was laying flat on her back. She's been elevated 24/7 since the surgery. So, we'll have to figure something out at home...

She still has some swelling around her neck. Her trach ties were way shorter than they usually are. I'm guessing she can't really swallow yet. She's probably swollen on the inside, too.

We are ready to leave now. We could have left today, but she is having a hard time coming off the oxygen. We are going to have to travel with it. So, there are some logistical issues that they are working on. I guess you can't take a regular oxygen tank on the plane? So we have to have a portable oxygen concentrator. I have no idea how this is all going to work, but we'll get it done. We are certainly not the first family in this situation.

Our follow up appointment will be in four to six weeks. Kinda hard to think about coming back when we haven't even left yet.

Well, Tom and I are going to go to dinner for our 10th wedding anniversary. Can't believe 10 years have gone by.

Thank you for all your love and support!

Much love,

Christy xoxo


1 comment:

Susan said...

It's great to hear Harlie's doing so well. That's a bit of a bummer she'll have to use oxygen on the plane but hopefully she'll get off it soon. I think a post-surgery shampoo must feel the BEST! Have a good trip home and I hope Harlie heals quickly once she's out of there. It looks like she's going to. Also...I have to wonder if her jaw is more comfortable now even post-surgery. Is it possible that it was causing her pain? She just looks happier and more relaxed. Maybe that's crazy. Also, I'm curious to hear how her eating is so I hope you'll post an update when she's able to start eating and let us know if there is any change. XOXO.