Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gymnastics Pictures, Finally!

So, after six weeks of gymnastics I finally took some pictures!  I would have taken more - but I was asked not to.  Can you believe that?  I like the owner/instructor, but he is pretty darn strict.  I get that he has to be - for safety reasons and all, but c'mon!  The problem I have with being strict in certain ways is that it doesn't lend to flexibility at all.  And my life is all about rolling with the punches and is as opposite of strict as can be.  Each day is a battle of flexibility and problem solving and more learning.  I do not have the luxury of a strict routine, strict schedule, strict anything!

I know he doesn't like that we are never early.  Okay, okay... just a few minutes late on occasion.  Okay, okay... all the time.  Geez.  But, seriously - getting there before 9:15am is almost impossible.  And trust me when I say it is not for the lack of trying!!!  You should be a fly on the wall in my house in the morning.  Hey, my new response is "they don't call them special needs for nothing!"  hehe

Plus, let's get real.  These are three and four year olds.  In a recreational gymnastics class - for FUN.  They were stretching and I took these two photos (Harlie's in the dark pink)...




and he came over and asked me to stop because "this is a classroom style instruction and their focus is supposed to be on the teacher and you are distracting them from the teacher."  Now I ask you... do they look distracted?  Not one of them had a clue that I was taking pictures.

And I'll be honest... it took all my strength to smile "sweetly" and calmly leave the room.  When inside my mind was screaming, "have your kid almost die several times and have someone tell you that you can't take their picture when they are doing something you never thought they'd be able to do!"  But, I can't say that.  There is NO possible way he can look at it from my perspective.  Nor would I ever expect him to.  And I'm not going to play "that" card.  Unless I absolutely need to.

And I get that he has rules that must be followed.  And if one mom sees me taking pictures when she's been asked not to before, yeah, yeah, I get it.  But when I went back to where the parents watch through the glass, one of the moms said that he let her take a bunch of pictures the last week.  Later, when Brandy was in the room suctioning or something, he told her I could come back and take pictures now that they were on the equipment.  I'm kinda thinking that's a worse place to distract them (like when they're walking on a balance beam vs. stretching), but whatever.  I am nothing if not flexible.  And I can roll with the punches like no other.  So, here are some more pictures (and I am oh so grateful to have them!)...


Seriously, could they be any cuter???




Go, Harlie go!


Love, love, LOVE that Harlie's arms are up and she's enthusiastic!!!



That adorable outfit is courtesy of my friend, Lindsay.  She gave it to Harlie for her birthday.  So cute!  Thank you, Lindsay!

Harlie loves gymnastics.  The instructor says that she's not afraid of anything and wants to be so independent.  She asks for very little assistance, which is great.  She has wanted to jump with both feet leaving the ground at the same time for a while now.  She has practiced almost every day (since even before gymnastics started).  And last week she finally did it!  Now it seems she practices even more!

I signed her and Murphy up for another six week session.  I am anxious to see how things go with more time and experience in the gym.

Okay, that's it for tonight.  I'll have more pictures for you tomorrow.
Thanks!
~Christy

11 comments:

Unknown said...

omg--cried at her accomplishments--and yours. amazing, go hariie!!! so sorry to tell the gym guy, aside, of course, "f*** off." i'll take as many pictures of my miracle as i want!!"

Just Diane said...

Oh Hail no. Mr. stiff and stuffy needs to relax a little. You are much more kind than I would have been. Do you need me to come over there and put that guy in his place... I will. I am all of 5 ft but dangit, I will come handle this asinine situation. lol.

I think your pictures are adorable. She is just such a beautiful girl.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Oh my gosh ... what an awesome thing to see her doing so well! She looks like she really loves it. :)

Susan said...

That is so incredible to see. She really is participating as fully as any other child her age. That is something to be oh-so-proud of and a photo worthy moment. Screw Mr. Owner. Though I'm glad he let you take more photos later on. Harlie I'm so proud of you!!!

Donna said...

Love, love, love this post! Awesome pictures! And I so would have" played that card" just to give that guy a clue!

Grandma said...

Thank you so much for the awesome pictures..it is so great to see Harlie having so much fun.

Lindsay said...

Love the pictures! She looks so totally adorable. I, too, think he needs a little wake up call. I appreciate that they try to instill patience and order and all that good stuff, but they are all so little and just there for fun!

PS - she goes Fridays, right? Bring your camera because there should be an awards ceremony this week.

Tanya said...

I'm glad he invited you back in later. Maybe he realized how harsh he came across at first. It looks like Harlie just loves gymnastics. It makes my heart sing when either of my children love something like that but it sings particularly loudly when one of them is doing something I never imagined they'd be able to do so well.

B-Mama said...

Seriously, seriously cute pics!! They made my morning!! Way to go, Harlie!

CS said...

So stinkin' cute! I love the last picture! What a wonderful thing for her and you. -Caty from the trach board

Eleanor said...

Go Harlie girl! She looks like she's having a BLAST and has the CUTEST button nose! Love to you all! Eleanor

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...