Thursday, December 10, 2009

Surgery Update #2

It is 9:30 and we are still waiting for an update. One of the nurses that took her back said that she would call when they started the surgery. It takes quite a while to get her all ready for the surgery to actually start. Back in June when she had her heart surgery, they said it took the anesthesia team a long time to get her ready (gaining access to her veins is becoming more difficult). Once she’s stable and ready, then they are going to do the echo (ultrasound on her heart). That should only take about 15-20 minutes. Then they will be able to start the surgery. So, I should be getting a call any time now.

As far as how long the actual surgery will be, I have no idea. Most surgeons don’t commit to a time, which is understandable.

Handing her over was easier on her this time (vs. November 20th when she got her ear tube), but it is definitely getting harder on us. Most of the time, I’m pretty good. I’ve gotten pretty callused as far as that goes. But, that time in November, and this time were definitely harder. I dream of the day when we are done with surgeries.

I think ignorance is bliss. Knowing what’s ahead as far how she’s going to look is way worse. The last time we did this surgery I was so focused on the positive changes the surgery would bring in her face and the hope of getting decannulated (removing the trach) that I didn’t really think of how she would look post-operatively (bruising, etc.). Now it's more like the other way around.

Well, they just called and said that they started the surgery around 9:30. They took her back at 7:45. She’s going to call every hour.

Tom did some searching on how to get us access to the internet and found that we can rent a Verizon mobile broadband. So he went to go get that, which will make today and the next several days, much more bearable. It makes me wonder how we ever got along without the internet!

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I got a call yesterday that Harlie’s communication device has been approved by all parties and that they will ship it within the next 2-3 weeks! YAY! I am so darn excited! Of course, she won’t be able to hear it until she gets her hearing aid (on January 4th). But during that time we can be getting it all programmed and specific for her. For example, there is a button that she can push that will say “My name is Harlie.” Oh, I just can’t wait!

Thanks for continuing to think of us!


Anonymous said...

Just thinking about everybody. Give Harlie a kiss for me. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Brandy

Allie said...

Good to hear from you. Stay upright mama, the day will be over shortly. She is in good hands Christy, and soon she will be in yours and everything is fine.
(the communication device is going to rock, don't forget a "stop touching me!" button as well...)
I am refreshing this site like a psycho today. Thinking about you!

Susan said...

That's really cool about the communication device. I'm so excited for her and you all. I'll be following the surgery updates. Glad you got some internet access. I've gotta get my kids ready for school now. Bye.

Hardware Removal Day

I'll talk about pre-op day first, then I'll blog about today... Yesterday we did the whole drive through testing thing.  That wa...