Monday, November 30, 2009

Hearing Aid Appointment

Today we had an appointment with an audiologist to get Harlie her hearing aid. We picked out a pretty cool one if you ask me. It is purple (which will match her communication device, which I hope will be here by the end of January) and is transparent. I know I said it's purple, but you can still see through it. She said that the kids really like it when they can see all the stuff inside. Sounds cool to me! The part that's purple will sit behind her ear. With her hair down, you probably won't even see it. During her ABR test they took an impression of her ear (while she was still asleep) so they can make the mold of the part that goes in her ear. We got to pick out that part, too. We picked what they called "sparkles." It is clear with glitter in it. I think it will look pretty cool and hopefully she'll want to wear it.

We go to get it January 4th. And then the fun begins! The first hurdle will be to get her to wear it - and not take it off. The audiologist said that they only give it a little sound so that she gets used to wearing it - and to hearing - a little at a time. I really think that once she realizes the benefits, wearing it won't be a problem. And hopefully we can get it working right for her without too many trips to the audiologist.

I am so anxious to see how things change for her once she starts hearing more clearly.

Tomorrow we have a Child Study meeting with the county. Now that we know she's hearing impaired, we just want to make sure that we are doing everything we can to help her succeed. Her speech therapist at the elementary school put this into action and I am very appreciative. Thanks, Jennifer!

Have a good night!
~Christy

2 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds like a cool hearing aid. I can't wait to hear how things go once she's tried it. Glad to hear the school district is look at her IEP in light of this new info. You've got a lot going on in these next couple months. Hugs.

Donna said...

That sounds like a very cool hearing aid! I'm sure once she can get used to the sensation of actually hearing things clearly it wont be like her PMV!

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...