Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Ambition and a concert...

Hi! I am so sorry it has been so long since my last update. Life is busy and I have been having a very hard time keeping up.

I have so much to tell you, including an update on We Heart Harlie & Friends. This will include the Corn Hole Tournament held back in June, and our exciting first ever Gala coming up in September! So, stay tuned for that.

For now, I thought I would start with what happened on the last day of school, on June 15th. In the weeks leading up to the last day I received a letter form Harlie's school informing me that she would be recognized for her "ambition." Each quarter the school focuses on a word, like determination, empathy, ambition, etc. And at the pep rally at the end of the quarter they call out the student's names who emulated the word. Each parent gets a letter that lets them know their child will be recognized, so they can attend.

So, me and Harlie's nurse, Caylee, took Harlie to school for the pep rally that day. The students stood up as they heard their names called. You should've seen Harlie's face when she heard her name. She was so surprised! When she got out of her wheelchair to stand, everyone clapped for like two minutes! It was amazing. Truly.



I tried so hard not to cry, but it was impossible. It felt so supportive. It felt like everyone knew we almost lost her and that they were so glad she was standing there, still with us, with a smile on her face. It makes me cry every time I think of it.

I think what happened to Harlie can make people so uncomfortable that they don't want to talk about it. So it is the simple acknowledgement from the students, the staff and the other parents there that speaks to me the most. So, if you were there that day, thank you. Truly.

Harlie started her tutoring with Ms. Johnson and she made this folder for her school stuff. So cute!


And we just got Harlie's hair cut. It was too long to be practical with the trach. It was constantly in the way. I'd say she feels pretty good with the new cut.


Okay, there's so much more to tell you about. One last exciting thing before I go...

Our wonderful social worker at Children's National Medical Center called me last week. She said that Harlie has told her several times that she wants to go to a concert. So, when she heard that the hospital received some tickets to the Taylor Swift concert, she thought of us. So, we are headed to FedEx Field (where the Redskins play) to see Taylor Swift tonight! Woohoo!

So, I promise I will post again later this week.

Thank you so much for all your support!

Much love,
Christy xo

1 comment:

Hartman 4 said...

So good to see her smiling face. I’m glad she had such a special moment. She deserved it!

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...