Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Three months Post-Op

Yesterday marked three months since Harlie's unplanned laryngotracheal reconstruction (LTR). And what a difficult three months it has been. Honestly, it feels like it has been longer than that. I guess it is hard to differentiate when life hasn't been the same since August.

But, despite how horrible some of the past 3/9 months have been, I am so happy to finally tell you how good she's doing. She is better right now than she's been since August 8, 2017. That dreadful day changed everything. But, I'm trying to be positive here... And since she is better, I am much better. I haven't been myself in so long. I can't tell you how hard it has been to be so fearful of losing her all the time. Since her scope on May 11th, I have been able to breathe and relax a little.

Anyway, she is back in physical and speech therapy and goes about four days a week. She likes it and seems to have fun despite working hard while there. It amazes me how she doesn't push us back sometimes. No matter what she achieves, we just ask for more. And she keeps on giving and keeps on trying. Crazy.

Last night we all went to walk the dogs. We are dog sitting my sister's chocolate lab, Rosie this week. And the third dog makes it really hard for me to walk all three by myself. So, I made the whole family go with me. I went to get Harlie's wheelchair out of the car, but Harlie went to her bike and said she wanted to ride it.

She got this bike back in December. I don't think I was ever able to blog about that day. Her physical therapist at the time, Tracy Morse (been with us since Harlie was just a few months old) nominated Harlie to receive a bike from Help Charities. They had a thing with Santa there, and presented the bikes to the kids. It was so great.




Harlie and Tracy

Well, needless to say, she hasn't been able to ride it. But, they started working with a bike like this in physical therapy so she's gotten some practice lately.

There wasn't time to make adjustments to her bike before the walk, so ignore that she isn't fitted properly. Tom did that when we got back. Anyway, she motored on down the road, with NO oxygen AND she was wearing her speaking valve! And just like she did walking to school last year, she started singing the song from Trolls, Get Back Up Again. I don't know how she does it. But we are so grateful she does!





And her teacher comes today for the first time since mid-February! I can't imagine missing so much school. That must be so weird for her. I know she will be happy to get back to it. Last night when we walked by the school she asked when she can go back to school. Hopefully she will be able to attend in the fall. We'll have to see how this summer goes.

Well, that's all I have time for today. It feels so great to post a good update for a change!

Thank you so much for all your unwavering support! All of your comments, texts, emails, calls, contributions to Harlie's care, and general acts of kindness are appreciated more than I can say!

Much love,
Christy xo


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi this is Sara. i hope Harlie can go to school this fall. and i hope she has a good summer.

Susan said...

This is so FANTASTIC! I'm glad things are feeling more normal. I just know Harlie is going to keep amazing us! To be doing so well after such a hard hospitalization?! Well...only Harlie!

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...