Monday, November 28, 2011

Quick One

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.  We did.  We had most of my family over to our house.  Tom made a wonderful dinner.

Here is a picture of the vegetables he roasted (before he roasted them)...


Aren't they beautiful?  And they were yummy!

Tom and I did something different this Thanksgiving.  We started the day off with some exercise.  I ran the 5-mile Deep Run Turkey Trot.  And then I went back home and picked up Tom and we both did Adrenaline.  It is an hour long outdoor fitness class.  It was great.  There was a huge turnout.  And we had a lot of fun.

It was a very busy holiday.  And I was left with no time to blog.  I wanted to write something about how we're so thankful.  But, I think you already know that.  So, I'll spare you.

I'll jump to today instead.

The weather has been great so the kids have been playing outside a lot.  Yesterday, a group of kids in the neighborhood set up a lemonade stand.  So, today Murphy came in and asked me if he could sell some toys they don't play with anymore.  Of course, I said no.  A while later I went out to get the mail.  And I found Murphy and his friend selling leaves, and those flower-grass things you see sticking up from the upside down recycle bin.


They were also drawing pictures on a pad of paper - and selling their drawings.  Here's the sign...


All you really need to know is the beginning - Drawings are $1.  PS - if you don't have a dollar, you can pay .25 or draw your own.  Ahhh, they are funny kids.  I asked them if they were distracting drivers as they drove down our street and they said they were, "entertaining" them.  Nice.  Of course I had to tell them that no one could read their sign while driving.  And I had to tell them that no one would buy their leaves considering they were dead leaves and they were everywhere!  After looking around, Murphy nodded in agreement.

I then told him that if he wanted to sell his artwork - he needed to take more time with his drawings.  So, he went inside and got some supplies.




When I spent some time looking at this "display", which I think was very clever of them, he said, "Mommy, they are not everywhere."  Which is true.  This plant (whatever the heck it is called) is not in every yard.
I have to give them credit for their display.
Soon the whole family ended up at the end of our driveway.


I can't believe it, but they actually "made" $15.00!  One mom drove by and purchased several drawings for $10.  And then a neighbor purchased a few for $5.  Honestly, I feel terrible!  So, Murphy is going to take them some cookies tomorrow.  Tom and I made pumpkin whoopie pies last night.  And I have to say that they are pretty darn good.  While I can appreciate their desire to make some money - I really don't want them out there asking for money, you know?  So, I will feel better if I think that they got something for their money.  And I think that's an important lesson for Murphy to learn, too.

And the evening ended on a positive note - Brandy had her baby girl tonight - a week after her due date!  Brodie Myra was born at 6:56pm and weighed 8 pounds, 6 ounces.  I told Harlie that Brandy had her baby and she smiled.  Harlie's been swaddling her baby lately.  I think she's practicing!  I can't wait to take Harlie to meet Brodie.  That's going to be fun!

That's it for now.  More later!
Thanks!
~Christy




2 comments:

Susan said...

I can't believe you exercise for fun on Thanksgiving! More power to ya!

So cute about the boys. My kids have had "jump rope shows" to get money. They've also sold drawings but to grandma and grandpa. Though perhaps that's worse. Anyway kids are very creative...funny about money.

I'm glad things went well for Brandy. That will be fun for Harlie to meet the baby. I hope you'll post pictures.

Have a good week!

B-Mama said...

Great to hear you all had a wonderful holiday... and about the kids... and especially about Brandy and little Brodie! So cute! We're back and looking forward to seeing you all! xox

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...