Sunday, July 27, 2008

Check out my new Blog

So, about this project I’ve been working on... For a while now, I have thought about transitioning over to a more “official” blog. I have been journaling on Babysites since a few days after Harlie was born. At that time, it was the only thing I knew of that could get the information out to my friends and family while we were still at the hospital. At that time, I had NO idea that the site would generate so much interest, or that I would still be journaling almost two years later.

And after almost two years (SO hard to believe), I must admit that I am getting a little bored with Babysites. There’s just not enough creative outlet for me. And I wonder if I can be more creative – what else will I say? I just think it might be time for me to have a little more freedom with my thoughts (scary, I know). But, I would like to have your input before I make the change. Here are some pros and cons:

Babysite Pros:
  1. Easy to navigate around.
  2. Easy photo album upload/organization.
  3. Seems easy for my visitors to leave comments on the Guestbook.

Babysite Cons:

  1. Kind of boring to work in for me now.
  2. It will only allow for one journal entry per day (which is a pain fairly often – especially when she’s in the hospital and I want to update several times in one day or when I want to update in the morning and that same night).
  3. The guestbook takes forever to come up because it is such a large file now.
  4. There is a yearly member fee and then more money to add memory/space.
  5. I’m concerned about the storage space in the long term (and the cost).
  6. Can’t search past entries for keywords.
  7. Can’t put links in my entries, which is kind of a pain when I’m trying to describe something.

Blog Pros:

  1. Gives me a little more creative space (although I’ll have to learn a lot more).
  2. I like that I can upload photos right into my journal entry (and that it is easy to do). This will really help if I’m trying to describe something (like her mickey button).
  3. I like that I can insert links right into my entry, so all you’d have to do is click on a word (also helpful when I’m trying to describe something – especially something medical).
  4. It’s free and no worries when it comes to storage space.
  5. I like that I can create “labels” in my entries so I can go back and search for certain topics (and you can, too).
  6. You can subscribe to my blog and get notified when I add an entry so you don’t have to keep checking back (I just don't know how to do this yet).
  7. Comments will be attached to an entry. I’m not really sure if you would consider this a Pro or a Con.

Blog Cons:

  1. Some might find navigation confusing.
  2. Still trying to find a way to upload photo ALBUMS. I know this is possible, but still looking for a more user-friendly method.
  3. Comments will be attached to an entry. And I’m not so sure about the user-friendliness of it. You’ll have to be the judge of this.

Before I wrote this entry, I was really undecided on making this change. But, as I started to write the above Pros vs. Cons, well, I guess it’s pretty clear what I should do. But, I want to make sure that this change works for all you “Harlie Fans” out there.

So, check out my blog when you get a chance and let me know what you think. I would really appreciate your feedback. You can just put it on the guestbook, or Click here to contact me and it will send me an e-mail. You can post your comment on either site, whichever you prefer. Also, if you have questions, that would be great, too.

Now, keep in mind that at this time, I think my new blog looks pretty boring. But, like I said, I still have a lot to learn. And luckily, I have SO much extra time on my hands!!! Eh, soon I’ll be up ‘round the clock anyway… I think I might have lost my mind...

Anyway, thank you for your support and future comments!!! And thanks Kim for spending some time with me today teaching me some things about the blog. You were a HUGE help!!! Oh – and if no one comments – I’m going on strike. So, please don’t be shy!!!

Thanks,

Christy

PS - Check out the blog entry below for new pics!

6 comments:

Ann said...

I'll comment :-) I love blogging and I love reading other blogs. Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself when I blog, but that's okay ... it's good therapy if nothing else.

I like the blog because it's great for uploading videos and pictures and you can get creative with the look. If you scroll down to the bottom of my blog, you can click in "Made by Lena" and the site has some really cool free blog templates you can download.

I always enjoy reading about Harlie and her family and I look forward to keeping up with your blog.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey Christy! I like the blog. Babysites is great but this is FREE! I don't know anything about blogs but it seems like it would be easier for you! As far all of us trying to figure out the blog... we will because we love to read about how you and Tom are doing, what funny things Murphy does and what little miss Harlie is up to.

XOXO,
Brooke Wojdyla

Anonymous said...

I agree...those that are interested in reading about your family will love the blog. I just have to figure out how to do it..so if you see goofey mixed up blogs..forgive me till I learn.

Elaine said...

Christy, this blog is terrific. It's so much faster in every action. I love that already!! And the pictures in your entries are going to add so much interest, e.g., her shoes. Becoming comfortable with your blog will be fun as well as watching your improvements as your skills increase.

Great job!!!

Rene said...

I love the new blog! I will be a frequent reader! I can understand how frustrating it must be to only be able to post once a day. One thing that you can do to make a "photo album" is to create a second blog and upload nothing but pictures. Then you can link it to this one.

Heart Hugs!
Rene

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy, Love the blog. Great job with everything. I love the picture of y'all on the floor.

Take Care
Bill

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...