Friday, February 2, 2024

TMJ Update

Hi. There have been some developments with Harlie's TMJs since I last blogged. 

Here's a recap:

April 2021 - She had her first prosthetic TMJs placed on both the left and the right.

May 2021 - a growth appeared at her incision sites, I took her to several doctors to try and find out what it was. Just yesterday I found a clinical note from one of the docs we visited during this time period. Her note said that mom was overwhelmed and teary at times. Yes, it was a VERY hard time because people were still nutzo about Covid and getting Harlie in front of people with a serious issue was such an unnecessary battle. 

August 2021 - I finally got her into the OR with her ENT in DC. He said it was an abscess/infection. They gave her a PICC line and a two-week course of IV antibiotics.

September 2021 - the abscess returned, so infectious disease put her on Doxycycline. Over the next year, we attempted to take her off Doxy several times, each time the infection returned, so she went back on Doxy. 

November 2022 - the infection returned on the right side only, despite being on Doxy. After consultation with several of her doctors, the decision was made to return to Boston to remove the TMJ.

April 2023 - the right TMJ was removed since that is the side where the infection re-appeared. The surgeon said the right side had a track and we never would've beat it with antibiotics. He put a spacer in it's place. 

October 2023 - a new right TMJ was placed, and the left TMJ was repaired since he found it to be dislocated.   

December 2023 - We were finally able to stop the Doxy! Yay! This was great, because by November, it became difficult to get her Doxy at all. For some reason, there was a low supply, and I would have to go to several different locations to get what she needed. Unfortunately, I've noticed that there's been a major problem with getting any kind of customer service when it comes to medication. I get that the pharmacists are over worked and under paid, under appreciated, etc. But, at the end of the day, my kid needs this medication. I know that they don't know why she's getting this medication (I think a lot of teens take Doxy for acne) - but they really do not care if she goes days or weeks without what she needs. I'm the one who has to figure it out, feeling like I have no help. This became a huge stressor and just remembering it now as I write this makes me so mad. I mean, I am at our local pharmacy so often and I see the same people (for the most part) over and over and there is never any type of recognition that they've ever seen me before. Or that we just had the exact same conversation about trying to get Doxy two weeks ago. I just don't understand. 

So, when we were finally able to STOP giving her Doxy, we were THRILLED. It was a little scary at first. But, her surgeon said he felt really good about how the surgery went and he didn't have to go into her mouth this time, so the whole site was cleaner, in general. 

I'm guessing that you might know where this is going...

On the 20th of January, I was getting Harlie ready to go to Caylee's baby shower. I looked at her incisions (which is now just something I do on a regular basis) and noticed a bubble/blister looking thing on her left side. I really can't describe how I felt when I saw it. Honestly, I think I just couldn't deal with it. I told myself there was NO way this was happening again. It was just some other weird thing. 

But it isn't. I know it. It looks exactly like the very first growth that appeared that summer in 2021. I just can't believe it. I mean, how can this be? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! Can this girl catch a break, please? OMG! I just don't know how much more we can ask of Harlie and her skin, which has been cut so, so many times. Too many times! Under her jaw is all scar tissue at this point. 

I am feeling so overwhelmed right now. I just don't know how we are going to do this again. I don't. It is too much. I'm telling you - it is TOO much. I just can't even think about them having to replace her TMJ, AGAIN. I do not ever want to return to Boston Children's Hospital. No offense to BCH, but I am so done going up there. If I had known at the beginning that we would STILL be going up there 12 years later, I don't think I would have ever started. 

I just want to say that going out in public (or a baby shower to celebrate someone I love) while I'm trying to process heavy shit is so fucking hard - and it is getting harder. It is like I have a bucket of water and everything is fine until it fills up too much, and then it starts to spill over, unpredictably. I want to emphasize that word, because I go out with full intention of being able to keep my damn water in the freaking bucket! So, instead of being like, yes, the food is so good, your hair is looking fabulous, I love your sweater, etc. I'm like Harlie's infection is back, I shouldn't have brought her, she can't hear a thing in this loud room and no one can hear her so she's just sitting there and she can't play these shower games and my heart is breaking into a million pieces.  Like, I'm carrying it and it is fine until I bump something then I spill water everywhere and then, I'm like, oh shit, sorry I got my water all over you at this baby shower. Then, after I get home I think about it and I feel terrible that I spilled the water and I beat myself up that I wasn't stronger to keep my water it in the bucket. 😑 Luckily, I was with great people and I know they are okay with me spilling my water on them. But, I still feel terrible about it all. I want to keep my water in the bucket. This is one thing I'm working on with my therapist - being kinder to myself. I am totally fine if my loved ones accidentally spill their water. I shouldn't have different rules for myself. These are all the thoughts that run through my head, on repeat, and it is exhausting. 

Anyway, it took me to the 24th for me to email her ID doc and send her pictures. Not that she needed to see them, really. I mean, they look exactly like what she's seen before. Anyway, she emailed me right back and called in a script for Doxy. We scheduled a zoom meeting for the 26th (Dr. Hahn is in DC). 

Ugh. I just can't. On the 26th, I noticed that I had not heard anything from CVS (she called it in on the 24th), so I called. Fifteen minutes later I get someone on the phone. They only have two bottles of Doxy and they don't know when they are getting more. "Its on order" she said. I've heard that before. She told me that a different CVS has four bottles and another one has six. I just can't do this again. 

Another update I don't think I've talked about is how we had to start a beta blocker for Harlie's heart issue that came up since August or so. It was an issue in Boston that bought her a longer stay in the hospital. Anyway, it is a compounded medication, which requires us to go to a specialty pharmacy (not CVS). So, I suppose if I'm already going to a different pharmacy, maybe I should send the Doxy there. So, I call and a REAL PERSON answers the phone! He said they have to order it and would have it the next day. Also he said they will try to make sure that they have it when she needs a refill each month. So, I sent an email to her doctor asking her to send the script there instead of CVS. While I am certainly NOT happy, I do feel better about not having to deal with CVS regarding this particular medication. 

Also, on the 24th, I was at work. I missed a call and I recognized the number, but couldn't remember why. Then I got an email message to call the nurse at Harlie's school. Ugh. I know it sounds crazy, but for a few seconds I sort of panic. I mean, it's a "controlled" panic, in that I don't think anyone would be able to look at me and know that I'm freaking out on the inside. But, I was. The school nurse put Harlie's nurse on the phone and she told me that Harlie was having some shortness of breath, (or labored breathing? I can't remember) a scratchy throat and increased secretions. But, her sats were good and she didn't have a fever. She said they had been sitting in the clinic for a few minutes and she seemed fine and she said she wanted to go back to class. So, they did. 

But, when she got home, her voice sounded really strained and she didn't look like herself. She ended up staying home Thursday and Friday. I can't believe it took this long to get to her. Crazy. Seems like we aren't even giving it to each other. There are days in between one feeling better and one feeling bad.

We had our zoom meeting on Friday. I like this doctor so much. I guess if you're going through something crappy, it is really nice to have good people in your corner. She asked me when I first noticed the abscess, and I had to admit that it took me several days to let her know. I just knew there was no denying it once I told her. She said she got it, which is one of the reasons why I like her so much. I wasn't able to actually start her on Doxy until the 27th. She said that I need to check in with her in two weeks. Hopefully the abscess will respond. I'm not even going to talk about what we do if it doesn't respond. We'll have to cross that bridge when we get there. 

Since January has been so crappy, I haven't taken any pictures. Well, except of the dogs. They are always cute, no matter what is going on in this crazy house. So, here's Mabel, since it has been a while.

That's my blanket she's stealing, by the way.


Mabel staring down a squirrel.

As always, thanks for reading! 

Much love,
Christy xo


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have kept up with you girl's story and i certainly feel for you all. i hope february shows mighty improvements, in both physical and mental health. the amount of effort it takes to stay healthy as a chronically ill person is a lot, but when you're down and out, the burden is tremendous. hugs to you all

ssouth said...

What hard and heavy burdens you carry. I'm glad you haven't carried it all in silence and that you recognize the grief and trauma mixed in with simple moments of peace and support. You remain in my prayers.

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...