Wednesday, April 25, 2018

We are home!

We have been home for over one week and it has been crazy busy! I'll recap with pictures...

Ahhh, nothing better than being discharged from the hospital after a way too long (7.5 weeks/52 days) and very beneficial stay!


That Saturday was a beautiful day. As we drove away with the windows down, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw the buildings behind us. I couldn't help but cry at the relief of knowing we didn't have to go back (soon) and we were on our way HOME!

The last few days of rehab were great. Her OTs took her down to Independence Square, which is very cool. Lots of real life stuff for people to practice  on - like booths at restaurants, ATMs, a gas pump, a bathroom, a bedroom, etc.
And a car, which they can make different heights. It was very cool.



She practiced going up and down a full flight of stairs.


And she made jello in the kitchen of Independence Square.


Tom gave her a pair of daisy earrings, for spring. She loves them.


When we got home on Satuday, we saw signs that read, Welcome Home Harlie REES loves you. Each sign was one word and was signed by all the staff and students in each grade. Meaning that Welcome was signed by 3rd grade, Home was signed by 5th grade, etc. So cute!


REES has been amazing. I heard that they put "We Heart Harlie" on the marquee and left it up for weeks while we were gone. They sent me this photo of the staff a few weeks ago. We love having this school's support so much!


While we were in DC, I also got this photo of the staff from Harlie's last elementary school, Glen Allen. They said, "Once a cub, always a cub!" So sweet!


My friends Marcy, Sally, Carol and Stephanie came over to our house in the morning before we got home and decorated it with lots of fun balloons (unicorns, butterfly, rainbow) and flowers, etc.




Mary Ann, Marcy, Stephanie and I went to get pedicures that afternoon, while Tom took the kids to Mike and Stephanie's house to swim in their pool. I have been worried about Harlie getting back in the pool, now that she can't go under the water like she used to. I was thinking it would be too upsetting to her. So, Tom asked her if she wanted to go and she said yes. When we got home she went upstairs, got her swim suit and came back downstairs. So, he took the kids.



On Sunday, I was able to have coffee in my pajamas for the first time in almost eight weeks!! At the RMH you can't have any food or drinks in your room. So, whether I was in the hospital or at the RMH, I had to get dressed and ready for the day before I could go and get my coffee. Plus, I got to have coffee with this girl in my lap, so that was amazing.


I was worried she wouldn't remember me considering we only had 10 days together before we left. But, I can tell she does and she missed me.


Our friend Les showed up on his bike. So Tom and I got dressed and went for a 20 mile bike ride with him. That was fun, even though it rained some. After the bike ride, we went to our local Starbucks to see some of our friends.


Later that afternoon, my mom, Harlie, Caylee (Harlie's nurse) and I went to get manicures. Caylee said that Harlie put the x's over her eyes and asked her to take a picture. Caylee said, no way!


I figured Harlie could use some pampering.


On Monday, Harlie started at Richmond Hope Therapy. They were able to get her on the schedule for physical therapy for one hour, five times a week, speech therapy for one hour, three times a week and occupational therapy for one hour, two times a week. And they were able to cluster her appointments each day. How awesome is that? And when we walked in, look at what everyone was wearing!!


Love the support more than words could ever say!



I went to the store and got Mabel a harness and leash and we took her for her first walk.



LOVE having two Pugs! I'm not so sure that Rooney agrees yet, but I think she'll grow on him in time.


Well, I have way more to tell you about, but I am going to wrap up this post and start on the next one soon.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your amazing support while we were gone and experiencing some scary times. I loved every comment and gesture of love and support.

Thank you to my mom for always listening to me and for being my biggest fan. Thank you to all who visited us, especially Sally, who came almost every single week!

And thank you to Mary Ann, for sacrificing so much of your life to come and stay with the boys and dogs so we could focus on Harlie. We couldn't have survived without you. And I'm so sorry you had to deal with a brand new puppy! That was not my plan!

Much love to all of you! More soon!
Christy xo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really glad you're finally home
You'll improve and heal by leaps and bounds now :)

Unknown said...

Much love ans continued prayers! Loved reading this post and feeling the happiness, positive energy and progress!!

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Sara. really happy your home. did Harlie go back to school yet.

how are you Harlie?

Anonymous said...

hi this is sara. glad your home Harlie. did you go back to school yet? how is your family and dogs?

Anonymous said...

hi this is Sara. how are you Harlie? are you back at school yet? the pictures of the pugs are really cute. how is your family? i'm super happy your home.

Christy how are you and Tom? where can i get a Harlie top or something?

Anonymous said...

glad your home did you got back to school yet?



sara

Heart Update

Hi. Here's another thing that's been on my mind - Harlie's heart. l think I'm just going to think out loud and hopefully it&...